• 🥗 Want better results with Ozempic? Try our personalized meal plans for improved health and faster weight loss! Boost your treatment with balanced nutrition. 🌟🍽️ Check it out now at www.myhealthyweight.com.com! #MHW #Ozempic #HealthFirst #MealPlans

Ozempic for diabetes. Just starting my journey.

M

Marlin88

Jun 29, 2022
A little over a month has passed since my diagnosis of diabetes type 2 was confirmed. My doctor prescribed metformin to be taken twice daily. My second appointment with my new primary care physician revealed that she intends to start giving me Ozempic for diabetes too. She claims that it will assist me in weight reduction. I don't know anything about this particular medication. Still, I do know that despite a long and potentially alarming list of side effects, this category of drugs is quite popular nowadays. But in many cases, metformin on its alone is not sufficient, even if you are appropriately restricting your food and doing sports. I have a hard time controlling my blood glucose since I like eating, and most of the meals available nowadays are high in sugar and carbs. Unfortunately, I can't restrain myself and give in to the temptation to eat sweets and fatty foods. So I guess I'll follow my doctor's advice and rely on the Ozempic's appetite suppressive effect. However, I have some doubts. That’s why I write here. Who has attempted to do this too? Is diabetic medicine Ozempic effective together with metformin? Do you have any recommendations or feedback?

R

rosboyd

Jul 2, 2023
Background: Today I took my 3rd shot. I do have type two diabetes and have had it 20 to 30 years. I am taking it at the recommendation of my internist to aid in additional weight loss. Over the years I have lost a total of 100 pounds but since I’m in my 70s now my weight loss has stalled to zero for a couple of years now. I have some other issues so I need to lose at least 15 more pounds and thought the Ozempic might help.
Today I really struggled whether or not to even take that 3rd shot. I’m not having any extreme side effects and I will say I have lost the desire to eat junk food and for that I am very thankful. I feel kind of down (I am normally an upbeat person) and this being week 3, I’ve only lost 2 pounds and it doesn’t feel like I’m eating hardly anything. I’m tracking my food consumption on the MyFitnessPal app and I’m barely getting 1000 cal because I just don’t have the desire to eat.
Along with the shot, I am also taking MetForman and Jardiance. The last two days I added a 1/2mg of Glimepiride because even though I’m not eating any junk foods or fruits and very little carbohydrates, my blood sugar has been elevated because the Ozempic shot is not strong enough.
Questions:
Have you lost any weight?
Do you feel a difference in your mood?
How is your blood sugar when you test in the morning?

S

Summer

Staff member
Jun 21, 2022
A little over a month has passed since my diagnosis of diabetes type 2 was confirmed. My doctor prescribed metformin to be taken twice daily. My second appointment with my new primary care physician revealed that she intends to start giving me Ozempic for diabetes too. She claims that it will assist me in weight reduction. I don't know anything about this particular medication. Still, I do know that despite a long and potentially alarming list of side effects, this category of drugs is quite popular nowadays. But in many cases, metformin on its alone is not sufficient, even if you are appropriately restricting your food and doing sports. I have a hard time controlling my blood glucose since I like eating, and most of the meals available nowadays are high in sugar and carbs. Unfortunately, I can't restrain myself and give in to the temptation to eat sweets and fatty foods. So I guess I'll follow my doctor's advice and rely on the Ozempic's appetite suppressive effect. However, I have some doubts. That’s why I write here. Who has attempted to do this too? Is diabetic medicine Ozempic effective together with metformin? Do you have any recommendations or feedback?
Hi Marlin88, welcome to the family!

Thank you for reaching out and sharing your recent diagnosis of type 2 diabetes and your concerns about starting Ozempic alongside metformin. I understand that navigating a new diagnosis and medications can be overwhelming, and seeking advice and feedback from others can be helpful.

Ozempic is an injectable medication used to treat type 2 diabetes, and one of its potential benefits is aiding in weight reduction. It belongs to a class of drugs called GLP-1 receptor agonists, which have indeed gained popularity in diabetes management due to their effectiveness in controlling blood sugar levels and promoting weight loss.

Combining Ozempic with metformin is a common treatment approach for type 2 diabetes, as these medications can work synergistically to improve blood glucose control and support weight management. Metformin helps reduce insulin resistance and lower blood sugar levels, while Ozempic enhances insulin secretion, suppresses appetite, and slows down stomach emptying, which can lead to reduced calorie intake and weight loss.

Here are a few tips to consider along with medication:

• Consult a Registered Dietitian: A dietitian can create a personalized meal plan that aligns with your diabetes management goals and helps you make healthier food choices.

• Mindful Eating: Practice mindful eating to become more aware of your hunger and satiety cues. This can help you make conscious choices about what and how much you eat.

• Regular Physical Activity: Incorporate regular physical activity into your routine. Exercise can improve insulin sensitivity and contribute to better blood sugar control.

• Supportive Environment: Surround yourself with a supportive environment that encourages healthier food choices and physical activity.

• Monitor Your Blood Sugar: Regularly monitor your blood sugar levels and keep track of how certain foods and medications affect your readings.

• Stay Informed: Stay informed about diabetes management and reach out to diabetes support groups or communities to connect with others who have similar experiences.

Remember that managing diabetes is a journey, and finding the right approach for you may take some time. Working closely with your healthcare provider and making lifestyle changes can lead to improved diabetes control and overall well-being.

If you have any specific concerns or experiences you'd like to discuss, I'm here to listen and provide further assistance.

Wishing you all the best on your diabetes management journey, and feel free to ask anything regarding Ozempic journey here.

🌞 Summer🌞

R

rosboyd

Jul 2, 2023
In addition to Summer’s helpful comments I would recommend taking a diabetes education class. The class helped me a lot because one of the things they went over was the importance of portion control. When I realized how much I was eating, it helped me make some adjustments that I still practice today (many, many years later).
Best wishes and much success with your Ozempic journey. It has sure stopped my cravings I’m so thankful!

• Love
Reactions: Amelia
A

Amelia

Administrator
Staff member
Jun 21, 2022
In addition to Summer’s helpful comments I would recommend taking a diabetes education class. The class helped me a lot because one of the things they went over was the importance of portion control. When I realized how much I was eating, it helped me make some adjustments that I still practice today (many, many years later).
Best wishes and much success with your Ozempic journey. It has sure stopped my cravings I’m so thankful!
Wow! Ignorant me, how come I didn't know about diabetes education classes?.. Is this a real thing? Thanks a lot @rosboyd for this info, I wish I've known this years ago))